Nigerian footballer, Chieme Martins slumped and died on Sunday afternoon, March 8, during the Nigeria Professional Football League games.
Chieme Martins, a Nasarawa United player, slumped after a collision with a Katsina United player, on Sunday afternoon. He was rushed to Dalhatu- Araf Specialist Hospital in Lafia where he was pronounced dead.
His teammates went on to win the game with a score of 3-0, but a video of them crying after the incident has gone viral.
Reacting to Chieme’s death, the Chairman of the League Management Committee (LMC), Shehu Dikko, said the league regrets the passing of the young man in his prime.
“We commiserate with Nasarawa United and the immediate family of the late player,” Mr Dikko said.
He added: “It is hoped that the findings of the autopsy would inform subsequent measures, if any that has not been addressed by the existing standard procedure.”
Meanwhile Cool FM Sportscaster, Buchi who also confirmed the incident, claimed that there was no medical team at the stadium where the football match was played in.
According to Buchi, the late Nasarawa United player was rushed to the hospital in a press crew vehicle.
– Chieme Martins of Nassarawa United has died after a collision with a Katsina Utd player earlier today in the NPFL.
– Nassarawa United Players Crying
– Player was rushed to the hospital and died there.
– No Medical Attention at the Stadium!! Like no Ambulance in an official NPFL game
– Player was rushed to the Hospital in a press Crew Vehicle in 2020
– R.I.P Chieme Martins
Your club and the League failed you.