Atiku Abubakar is a prominent Nigerian politician, businessman, and philanthropist. He has been involved in Nigerian politics for several decades, serving in various government positions and running for the presidency multiple times.
Alongside his political career, Atiku Abubakar has also made a name for himself as a successful entrepreneur, investing in various sectors of the economy and contributing to the growth and development of Nigeria’s business landscape.
Born on November 25, 1946, in Jada, Adamawa State, Atiku Abubakar has risen from humble beginnings to become one of the most influential personalities in Nigeria. In this article, we will delve into his life and career, including his family, businesses, net worth, and controversies.
Early Life and Education
Atiku Abubakar was born on November 25, 1946, in Jada, a small town in Adamawa State, Nigeria. He grew up in a polygamous household, with his father having four wives and many children. Atiku’s father was a farmer and trader who traded in goods such as kola nuts, groundnuts, and hides and skins. Unfortunately, Atiku’s father passed away when he was just eleven years old, leaving him and his siblings to be raised by their mother.
Despite the challenges of growing up in a large and struggling family, Atiku Abubakar was determined to succeed. He attended Jada Primary School and Adamawa Provincial Secondary School, where he completed his secondary education in 1965. After completing his secondary education, Atiku Abubakar went on to study at the School of Hygiene in Kano, where he obtained a diploma in hygiene.
Atiku Abubakar’s quest for higher education led him to attend Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, where he studied law at the School of Legal Studies. After obtaining his diploma in law, he worked briefly as a tax official in the Nigerian Customs Service. In 1974, Atiku Abubakar returned to the Ahmadu Bello University to study economics, where he obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics in 1978.
After his graduation, Atiku Abubakar proceeded to the American University in Washington, D.C., where he earned a master’s degree in International Relations in 1981. His education equipped him with the skills and knowledge he needed to excel in his career, and he has continued to apply these skills to make significant contributions to Nigeria’s political and economic landscape.
Atiku Abubakar’s political career spans over three decades and has seen him serve in various capacities in Nigeria’s government. He began his political career in the late 1980s when he joined the People’s Front of Nigeria, a political association formed by some politicians who had fallen out of favor with the ruling government. The association later merged with the Social Democratic Party (SDP), and Atiku Abubakar was elected as the National Vice-Chairman (North-East) of the party.
In 1992, Atiku Abubakar was elected as the Governor of Adamawa State, a position he held for eight years. During his tenure as governor, he implemented several development projects and programs, including the construction of schools, hospitals, and roads. He also introduced policies to encourage agricultural development and boost the state’s economy.
Atiku Abubakar’s political career continued to soar, and in 1998, he was elected as the Vice Presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), under the leadership of Olusegun Obasanjo. In the presidential election held in February 1999, the PDP won a landslide victory, and Atiku Abubakar was sworn in as the Vice President of Nigeria on May 29, 1999.
Atiku Abubakar served as Vice President for two consecutive terms, from 1999 to 2007. During his tenure, he played a significant role in shaping Nigeria’s political and economic landscape. He was instrumental in the establishment of the National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy (NEEDS), which was aimed at promoting economic growth and reducing poverty in Nigeria.
Atiku Abubakar’s bid to become the President of Nigeria began in 2006 when he declared his intention to contest for the presidency under the platform of the PDP. However, his ambition was thwarted by the then President Olusegun Obasanjo, who denied him the party’s ticket. Atiku Abubakar subsequently defected to the Action Congress (AC) and contested for the presidency in 2007 but lost to Umaru Yar’Adua.
In the 2011 presidential elections, Atiku Abubakar contested on the platform of the PDP but lost to incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan. He later defected to the All Progressives Congress (APC) and contested for the presidential ticket in 2014 but lost to Muhammadu Buhari. Atiku Abubakar again contested for the presidency in 2019 under the PDP but lost to President Muhammadu Buhari. He contested again in 2023 under the PDP but lost to Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
Atiku Abubakar is not only a successful politician but also a successful businessman. He has interests in various business ventures, including agriculture, telecommunications, education, and media. Some of his business ventures include:
- Adama Beverages Limited: Atiku Abubakar is the founder of Adama Beverages Limited, a company that produces bottled water and fruit drinks. The company has a bottling plant in Yola, Adamawa State, and has provided employment opportunities for many people in the state.
- American University of Nigeria: Atiku Abubakar is the founder of the American University of Nigeria, a private university located in Yola, Adamawa State. The university offers undergraduate and graduate programs in various fields and has been recognized for its academic excellence.
- Intels Nigeria Limited: Atiku Abubakar is a co-founder of Intels Nigeria Limited, an oil and gas logistics company that provides services to oil companies operating in Nigeria. The company has operations in several ports in Nigeria and has played a significant role in the country’s oil and gas industry.
- NAL-Comet Group: Atiku Abubakar is also a co-founder of the NAL-Comet Group, a conglomerate that operates in various sectors, including aviation, agriculture, and logistics. The group has subsidiaries such as Nigerian Aviation Handling Company Plc (NAHCO), which provides ground-handling services to airlines operating in Nigeria.
- Prodeco International Limited: Atiku Abubakar is the founder of Prodeco International Limited, an investment company that focuses on various sectors, including agriculture, real estate, and telecommunications. The company has made significant investments in Nigeria’s agricultural sector, with a focus on rice cultivation and processing.
Atiku Abubakar Networth
Atiku Abubakar is considered one of the wealthiest politicians in Nigeria, with an estimated net worth of around $1.4 billion, according to Forbes. He has acquired his wealth through various business ventures, as well as through his political career.
Some of Atiku Abubakar’s assets include:
- Yola Mansion: Atiku Abubakar owns a luxurious mansion in Yola, Adamawa State. The mansion is said to be one of the most expensive properties in the state and is worth several million dollars.
- Presidential Library: Atiku Abubakar is currently building a Presidential Library in Yola, which is expected to cost around $250 million. The library will house a collection of books, documents, and artifacts related to Nigeria’s political history.
- Private Jets: Atiku Abubakar owns several private jets, including a Gulfstream G650 and a Bombardier Global Express XRS. These jets are said to be worth millions of dollars.
- Agricultural Land: Atiku Abubakar owns large tracts of agricultural land in Adamawa, Nassarawa, and other states in Nigeria. He has invested heavily in agriculture, particularly in rice cultivation and processing.
- Corporate Shares: Atiku Abubakar owns shares in various companies, including Intels Nigeria Limited, NAL-Comet Group, and Prodeco International Limited.
In summary, Atiku Abubakar’s net worth and assets are a reflection of his success in business and politics. He has invested heavily in various sectors of the Nigerian economy, and his wealth has enabled him to acquire some of the most luxurious properties and assets in the country.
Family and Personal Life
Atiku Abubakar is a family man and has been married to several wives over the years. He has many children, both biological and adopted and is known to be very close to his family.
Atiku Abubakar’s first wife was Titi Atiku Abubakar, whom he married in 1971. The couple had five children together but divorced in the 1980s. He later married Rukaiyatu Atiku Abubakar, with whom he had several children. He is also married to Jennifer Douglas, a US citizen, and they have one child together.
Atiku Abubakar is known to be a very private person when it comes to his personal life. However, he has spoken publicly about his love for his family and his commitment to their wellbeing. He is known to be a devoted father and has been actively involved in his children’s lives, even when he is away on business or political engagements.
Aside from his family, Atiku Abubakar is known to be an avid reader and a lover of music. He is also a philanthropist and has donated millions of dollars to various charitable causes in Nigeria and beyond.
Atiku Abubakar’s family and personal life are an integral part of his identity. He is known to be a devoted husband and father and has a passion for reading, music, and philanthropy. His values and beliefs have shaped his career and have made him a respected figure in Nigerian politics and business.
Atiku Abubakar, like many politicians, has been the subject of various controversies over the years. Some of these controversies include:
Allegations of Corruption: Atiku Abubakar has faced several allegations of corruption, including accusations that he received bribes from a US congressman in exchange for assistance in securing contracts for a Nigerian technology company. He has also been accused of involvement in money laundering and other fraudulent activities.
Involvement in Nigerian Politics: Atiku Abubakar has been involved in Nigerian politics for several decades, and his political career has been marked by various controversies. He has been accused of using his wealth and influence to manipulate elections and has been involved in several legal battles over the years, including disputes over election results.
Personal Life: Atiku Abubakar’s personal life has also been the subject of controversy. He has been married to several wives over the years, and his personal relationships have been the subject of media speculation. He has also been accused of neglecting his family and failing to support his children.
Despite these controversies, Atiku Abubakar remains a prominent figure in Nigerian politics and business. He continues to be actively involved in political and business activities, and his wealth and influence have enabled him to weather many of the controversies that have come his way.
Atiku Abubakar is a prominent Nigerian politician, businessman, and philanthropist, who has had a long and eventful career in public life. He has been involved in various controversies over the years, including allegations of corruption, involvement in Nigerian politics, and personal issues. Despite these controversies, he remains a respected figure in Nigerian politics and business, and his wealth and influence have enabled him to weather many of the challenges that have come his way.
Atiku Abubakar’s life story is an inspiration to many, as it highlights the importance of perseverance, hard work, and dedication in achieving success in life. His career has been marked by many successes and challenges, and he has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to his values and beliefs, even in the face of adversity.