Today, we’ll be providing you with an easy guide on how to renew a Nigerian passport. Nigerian citizens travelling out of the country are usually issued what is called a “Nigerian Passport”. The passport gets expired after the stipulated amount of years. In this case, the citizen will have to renew the passport. If the citizen is outside the country at the time of expiration, he/she can apply online or visit the nearest embassy.
Requirements to Renew a Nigerian Passport
Below are the requirements or documents you need to have before you can be able to renew your Nigerian passport;
- Local Government letter of identification.
- Birth certificate/Age declaration.
- 2 recent colour passport photographs.
- Guarantor’s form sworn to before a commissioner of Oaths/Magistrate/High Court Judge.
- For minors under the age of 16, Parents’ letter of consent.
- Marriage certificate where applicable.
- In case of a lost passport, a police report is required.
How to Renew a Nigerian Passport
The application process of the renewal of the Nigerian passport is done online. Follow the steps below;
- Go to the Nigerian Immigration Services portal https://portal.immigration.gov.ng/passport/epassport
- Select passport type and a processing country.
- Complete application form. Make sure you enter every detail correctly.
- Select your preferred payment method and make payment.
- Once the payment is completed, click on “Submit”.
- An Application ID and Reference number will be issued to you upon completion.
- Print out the Guarantor’s form and have it certified.
- Now submit the completed application form with any other required documents at your preferred passport office. This submission should be done in person.
- If your existing passport still has a six-month validity on it, a photograph will be taken and your biometric data captured at the passport office.
You’ll be notified via text or email when your new passport is ready for pickup. It is advisable to apply well in advance of the expiration of your passport. Even though it is stated that the renewal process takes just 72 hours, there are times when the process often take up to a month or more.
The renewed passport will have the same 5 years validity as the previous one. If your passport still has a validity of six or more months left, you’ll need to give a reason as to why you want a new passport.
How much does it cost to renew a Nigerian passport?
Cash payment for the renewal of the Nigerian passport is not allowed. Every payment is made online. Below is the cost of a Nigerian passport;
• Age 0 – 17: N8,750 for 32 pages and N20,000 for 64 pages.
• Age 18 – 59: N15,000 for 32 pages and N20,000 for 64 pages.
• Age 60+: N8,750 for 32 pages and N20,000 for 64 pages.
The prices listed above are the official price from the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS). Enlisting the help of a third party in your passport renewal process will see the overall cost skyrocket. An adult seeking a renewal for a 32 pages passport may end up spending over thirty thousand naira (N30,000).
With this easy guide on how to renew a Nigerian passport article, you shouldn’t go through a rigorous time trying to get it renewed. For more information or assistance, contact the Nigerian Immigration Service;
Nnamdi Azikiwe Int’l Airport Road,
P.M.B. 38, Garki, Abuja.