Nigerian Current Affairs – Top 100 questions and answers
Current & Affairs are two different words that are put together to give to become a subject. Current affairs are issues or events that are generally accepted, used, practised or prevalent at the moment.
These events might have happened in the past but still relevant in the present day. Current Affairs in Nigeria is always a good read. It details events (whether political or social) that have happened and are happening in the country. It also helps one to know the history of Nigeria and events that have occurred before we were born. Let’s look at the top 100 questions and answers of the Nigerian Current Affairs
Nigerian Current Affairs – Major Acronyms and Full meaning
- NURTW = National Union Of Road Transport Workers
- EFCC = Economic And Financial Crime Commission
- FRSC = Federal Road Safety Commission.
- SARS = Special Anti Robbery Squad
- ECOWAS = Economic Community Of West African States
- NDA = Nigerian Defense Academy
- SAN = Senior Advocate Of Nigeria
- NA = Nigerian Army
- PDP = Peoples Democratic Party
- APC = All Progressive Congress
- CAN = Christian Association Of Nigeria
- NYSC = National Youth Service Corps
- PHCN = Power Holding Company Of Nigeria
- NIPOST = Nigerian Postal Service And Telecommunication
- WAEC = West African Examination Council
- CBN = Central Bank Of Nigeria
- NICON = National Insurance Company Of Nigeria
- GCE = General Certificate Of Education
- NASU = Non-Academic Staff Union
- NAFDAC = National Agency For Food And Drug Administration And Control
- INEC = National Independent Electoral Commission
- ASUU = Academic Staff Union Of Universities
- ASUP = Academic Staff Union Of Polytechnic
- JAMB = Joint Admission And Matriculation Board
- NAN = News Agency Of Nigeria
- NANS = National Association of Nigerian Students
- NUJ = Nigerian Union Of Journalists
- UNICEF = United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund
- NAF = Nigerian Air Force
- NN = Nigerian Navy
- AIDS = Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
- NPA = Nigerian Ports Authority
- AIT = Africa Independent Television
- NAN = News Agency of Nigeria
- PENGASSAN = Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria.
- NLC = Nigeria Labour Congress
- NECON = National Election Commission of Nigeria
- NUJ = Nigeria Union of Journalists
- IMF = International Monetary Fund
- ICPC = Independent Corrupt Practices Commission
- OPEC = Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries
- CAN = Christian Association of Nigeria
- NUPENG = National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas
- NBA = Nigeria Bar Association
- NUT = Nigeria Union of Teachers
- AAWUN = Agricultural and Allied Workers Union of Nigeria
- DSS = Department of State Security
- UCH = University College Hospital
- LUTH = Lagos State Teaching Hospital
- CBN = Central Bank of Nigeria
- BOI = Bank of Industry
Nigerian Current Affairs – Questions and Answers
- Who is the current speaker of the house of representative in Nigeria in 2019?
Answer: Femi Gbajabiamila
2. What is the first university in Nigeria?
Answer: University of Ibadan
3. Who is the minister for education in Nigeria?
Answer: Adamu Adamu
3. Who is the current chief justice of Nigeria?
Answer: Tanko Muhhamed
4. When did Nigeria have her independent?
Answer: 1st October 1960
5. When did Nigeria became a republic?
Answer: 1st October 1963
6. When was the first military coup carried out in Nigeria?
7. Who is the current Nigerian senate president in 2019?
Answer: Senator Lawan Ahmed
8. Who formed the first political party in Nigeria?
Answer: Herbert Macauley
9. What was the first political party in Nigeria?
Answer: Nigerian National Democratic Party (NNDP)
10. Is Nigeria a member of the Organization of Islamic corporation OIC?
Answer: Yes, Nigeria is officially a member of the OIC.
11. The ruling political party in Nigeria in 2019 is?
Answer: The ruling party in Nigeria is the All Progressive Congress (APC)
12. Which is the richest state in Nigeria this 2019?
Answer: Lagos State is the richest state with a GDP of $33 Billion.
13. Who is the current chief justice of Nigeria in 2019?
Answer: Tanko Muhammed
14. Who is the current president of Nigeria?
Answer: Muhammadu Buhari
15. Who is the current vice president of Nigeria?
Answer: Prof Yemi Osibajo
16. What does the eagle in the Nigerian coat of arm represent?
17. What do the two horses on the Nigerian coat of arm represent?
18. What does the black shield in the Nigerian coat of arm stand for?
Answer: Nigerian’s fertile soil
19. What does the white colour in Nigerian flag stand for?
20. What does the green colour in the Nigerian flag represent?
Answer: Forests and abundant natural wealth of Nigeria
21. Who designed the Nigerian flag?
Answer: Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi
22. Who was the first man to buy a car in Nigeria?
Answer: Bob Jensen
23. Who was the first woman to buy a car in Nigeria?
Answer: Funmilayo Ransome Kuti
24. What is the first TV station in Nigeria?
Answer: Western Nigerian Government Broadcasting Corporation (WNTV) in 1959
25. When was Nigeria formed? Answer: 1914
26. Where was crude oil first discovered in Nigeria?
Answer: Oloibiri Oilfield, located in Oloibiri in Ogbia LGA of Bayelsa State
27. Who was the first Nigerian to become a Noble Laureate?
Answer: Wole Soyinka
28. How many local Government do we have in Nigeria? Answer: 774
29. Nigeria is divided into how many geopolitical zones?
Answer: Six (6) geopolitical zones: North East, North West, North Central, South East, South West and South South.
30. What was the first capital city in Nigeria? Answer: Calabar
31. What is the current capital of Nigeria? Answer: Abuja
32. Who is the current Nigerian Deputy Senate president? Answer: Senator Ovie Omo-Agege
33. Who was the first female vice-chancellor in Nigerian university? Answer: Grace Alele Williams
34. Who gave Nigeria her name? Answer: Flora Shaw
35. Who is the first Nigerian president? Answer: Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe
36. Who was Nigerian first executive president?
Answer: Alhaji Shehu Aliyu Shagari
37. Who was the Nigerian first prime minister?
Answer: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa
38. What continent is the largest in the world?
Answer: ASIA with population of 3,641,000,000
39. What continent is the smallest in the world?
Answer: Australia & Oceania
40. What are the five Oceans in the world?
Answer: Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean, Southern Ocean, and the Arctic Ocean
41. Which country’s flag is called the Union Jack? Answer: Great Britain
42. Who won the 2015 Nigerian presidential general election? Answer: General Muhammadu Buhari
43. Who won the 2019 Nigerian presidential general election? Answer: General Muhammadu Buhari
Nigeria Current Affairs – List of former colonial masters
- Sir Frederick Lord Lugard (ruled from 1900 to 1919).
- Sir Hugh Clifford (ruled from 1919 to 1925)
- Sir Creamer Thompson (ruled from 1925 to 1931)
- Sir Donald Cameroon (ruled from 1931 to 1935)
- Sir Bernard Bourdilion (ruled from 1935 to 1943)
- Sir Anthony Richard (ruled from 1943to 1948)
- Sir John McPherson (ruled from 1948 to 1958)
- Sir James Robertson (ruled from 1958 to 1960)