The National Identity Card is the new biodata based card used to identify a citizen of Nigeria. There are various ways of becoming a citizen of the country. You can become a citizen through naturalization, marriage, parents or the military.
This Identity card can only be issued to citizens who have attained the age of sixteen and above. The citizen will first have to be registered into the National Identity System (NIS). The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) is the governing body that regulates and operates matters of national identity in the country. Their services include the enrollment and issuance of the National Identification Number (NIN), data harmonization and authentication, identity verification and National e-ID card issuance.
According to the NIMC, the National Identity Card has provision for 13 applets. These applets are said to help facilitate the interaction between individuals and the government. The card can also be used to access a wide range of services with various institutions within the country. Below is the full list of applets;
• Electronic Identity Information (e-ID)
• Verification – Match-on-Card
• Security – Electronic Public Key Infrastructure (EPKI)
• Travel – International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
• e-Health Application
• e-Pension Application
• e-Voting Application
• e-Taxation Application
• e-Drivers’ License Application
• e-Transport Application
• e-SIM Application
• e-Insurance Application
The first five applets are active upon the collection of the card. While the remaining eight applets are yet to be activated. Relevant security measures have been taken with this National Identity Card to help curb fraudulent activities.
So if you’ve enrolled for this National Identity Card, you can check its status online. This article will guide you on how to check your National Identity card status online. Below are the steps;
How to check your National Identity Status Online
- Visit the ‘check status page’ on the NIMC official website
- Click on the ‘proceed’ button at the bottom, which should take you to page with a form.
- Fill out the form, which includes your names, and the last six digits of your National Identification number.
- After filling the form, click on ‘check now’ button. It will take a few seconds to process your information and display before displaying the status of your card.
It is important you visit the website regularly to check the status of your card. Once your card is ready, a text message will be sent to you. In that message is your collection centre where the card is sent. You’re advised to visit the collection centre and get your identity card.
Don’t forget to go to the collection centre with your NIN/Transaction Slip. The card will be given to you in a sealed envelope. You’ll be required to open the envelope and sign on the back of the card. Biometric verification will be carried out to ensure you are walking away with your card. Once you’re done with the verification, you’ll create a four-digit PIN number to activate your national identity card.