As the demand for qualified nurses continues to grow, nursing schools have become increasingly important in providing students with the skills and knowledge necessary to excel in the healthcare industry. Ghana, a country known for its quality education, is home to some of the top nursing schools in Africa. In this article, we’ll explore the 10 best nursing schools in Ghana, each offering a unique approach to nursing education.
10 Best Nursing Schools in Ghana 2023
- University of Ghana, School of Nursing and Midwifery
Located in the bustling city of Accra, the University of Ghana’s School of Nursing and Midwifery is a leading institution in nursing education. Known for its comprehensive curriculum, state-of-the-art facilities, and highly qualified faculty, this school ensures that graduates are well-equipped to provide quality healthcare to their communities.
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, College of Health Sciences
The College of Health Sciences at KNUST in Kumasi offers a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program that emphasizes evidence-based practice and critical thinking. With strong collaborations in research and clinical practice, students gain invaluable hands-on experience to prepare them for a successful nursing career.
- University of Cape Coast, School of Nursing and Midwifery
With a mission to advance nursing knowledge and promote health equity, the University of Cape Coast’s School of Nursing and Midwifery offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate nursing programs. Their strong emphasis on community engagement and cultural competence sets them apart from other institutions.
- University for Development Studies, School of Allied Health Sciences
Located in Tamale, the University for Development Studies’ School of Allied Health Sciences is renowned for its focus on rural healthcare. This institution is committed to producing highly skilled and compassionate nurses who are dedicated to improving healthcare in rural and underserved areas.
- Valley View University, School of Nursing
Valley View University’s School of Nursing in Oyibi-Accra is known for its Christian-based nursing education. With a holistic approach, this school integrates spiritual, physical, and mental health care into its nursing programs, providing students with a well-rounded and compassionate foundation.
- Garden City University College, Department of Nursing
The Department of Nursing at Garden City University College in Kumasi offers a Bachelor of Science in Nursing program that emphasizes clinical competence and professionalism. The school prides itself on producing graduates who are ready to meet the ever-evolving demands of the healthcare industry.
- Presbyterian University College, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
Situated in Abetifi-Kwahu, the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at Presbyterian University College is committed to providing quality nursing education in a nurturing environment. The school’s strong emphasis on ethical practice and community service prepares students to be compassionate healthcare providers.
- Pentecost University College, Faculty of Health and Allied Sciences
The Faculty of Health and Allied Sciences at Pentecost University College in Accra offers a Bachelor of Science in Nursing program that integrates theory and practice. With a focus on research, students are encouraged to contribute to the advancement of nursing knowledge and improve patient outcomes.
- Tamale Nursing Training College
Tamale Nursing Training College is a public nursing school located in Tamale, Northern Region. The school offers diploma programs in nursing and midwifery and is known for its focus on community-based healthcare. Students at Tamale Nursing Training College have the opportunity to work with local communities and gain valuable experience in providing healthcare services to underserved populations.
- Holy Family Nursing & Midwifery Training College
Holy Family Nursing & Midwifery Training College is a private nursing school located in Techiman, Brong-Ahafo Region. The school offers a range of nursing and midwifery programs, including a diploma in community health nursing. Holy Family Nursing & Midwifery Training College is known for its commitment to providing practical training and hands-on experience to students, which prepares them for the challenges of a career in nursing.
Admission Requirements Into Nursing Schools in Ghana
If you are interested in pursuing a nursing degree in Ghana, it is important to be aware of the admission requirements of the various nursing schools. Here are some common admission requirements for nursing schools in Ghana:
1. Educational Requirements: To be eligible for admission into a nursing school in Ghana, you must have a minimum of six (6) credits in the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) or its equivalent, including English Language, Mathematics, and Science subjects (Biology, Chemistry or Physics).
2. Age Requirement: Applicants for nursing programs must be at least 18 years of age. Some nursing schools may have a maximum age limit for admission.
3. Application Process: Applicants are required to obtain an application form from the nursing school of their choice and submit it with the required application fee. The application form should be accompanied by copies of academic certificates, birth certificate, and other relevant documents.
4. Entrance Examination: Most nursing schools in Ghana require applicants to sit for an entrance examination, which assesses their aptitude in English language, mathematics and science subjects.
5. Interview: Applicants who are successful in the entrance examination are invited for an interview, which is conducted to evaluate their communication skills, personal qualities, and motivation for pursuing a career in nursing.
6. Medical Examination: Successful applicants are required to undergo a medical examination to ensure that they are physically and mentally fit for the nursing profession.
7. Police Clearance: Some nursing schools may require applicants to provide a police clearance certificate, which indicates that they have not been convicted of any criminal offence.
NOTE: Admission requirements may vary from one nursing school to another. Therefore, it is recommended that you contact the nursing school of your choice to obtain the most up-to-date information on their admission requirements.
Ghana is home to some of the best nursing schools in Africa, offering high-quality education and practical training to prepare students for a rewarding career in healthcare. Whether you are interested in pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in nursing, these five schools are excellent choices that will provide you with the knowledge, skills, and experience you need to succeed.