Construction work is fraught with hazards. Falls, electrocutions, being struck by equipment, and other accidents can leave workers severely injured – or cost them their lives. Construction consistently ranks among the most dangerous industries. In 2020, 4,764 workers in the United States suffered fatal work injuries.
When a preventable accident happens due to unsafe working conditions or negligence, workers have legal rights to pursue compensation. The complex workers’ compensation system and laws governing construction accidents mean injured workers need an experienced attorney to get fair compensation.
This guide profiles some of the nation’s top construction accident lawyers. These dedicated advocates have helped hundreds of injured workers and bereaved families fight for maximum compensation after workplace injuries and deaths.
How Construction Accident Attorneys Can Help
Suffering a serious injury on a construction site can be devastating. You may face extensive medical treatment and be unable to work for months or longer. If the accident results in permanent impairment, you may never be able to return to construction work.
Pursuing injury claims is difficult amid the stress of coping with health problems and financial uncertainty. An attorney’s assistance is critical. An experienced construction accident lawyer will:
- Investigate accident causes – The lawyer gathers evidence proving negligence by general contractors, subcontractors, property owners, or other parties contributed to the accident.
- Navigate workers’ compensation – They handle complex filings and appeal denied claims to get benefits like medical treatment coverage, lost wage replacement, and permanent disability pay.
- File third-party lawsuits – If parties other than the employer caused the accident, the attorney can pursue injury lawsuits seeking additional compensation.
- Negotiate fair settlements – Lawyers negotiate full and fair settlement amounts from insurance companies. Their expertise results in far higher payouts.
- Represent at trial – If a satisfactory settlement isn’t reached, lawyers take the case to court trial fighting aggressively on your behalf.
Having an excellent lawyer levels the playing field against big construction firms and insurance companies. Their advocacy is critical to getting the maximum compensation you deserve.
Finding the Best Construction Accident Lawyer
In an area as specialized as construction law, it’s essential to find an attorney experienced with these cases. Factors to look for include:
- Expertise handling construction accident cases – Look for a lawyer that focuses their practice specifically around construction site injuries and accidents. They should have a track record of successes representing injured construction workers.
- Knowledge of construction laws and regulations – A construction lawyer should be intimately familiar with state and federal laws governing safety requirements, negligence, workers’ compensation, liability, and other issues unique to the construction industry.
- Resources to investigate accident sites – The law firm should have the staff and resources to thoroughly investigate accident scenes, interview witnesses, recreate events, and build strong evidence supporting your claim. Larger firms are better equipped for this.
- Experience negotiating settlements – Opt for a lawyer with a proven record of fighting for fair settlements from insurance agencies for injured clients. Don’t settle for quick, lowball offers.
- Willingness to take cases to trial – The best lawyers aren’t afraid to take insurers to court trial to fight for your rights if a satisfactory settlement can’t be reached.
Take time researching lawyers’ backgrounds, experience, and case results. This helps find the best legal advocate for you after suffering a catastrophic construction injury.
Top 10 Construction Accident Lawyers in the U.S.
Below are 10 of the most esteemed construction accident attorneys in the nation based on their experience, case results, industry recognition, and client reviews.
1. Keches Law Group – Massachusetts
With offices in Boston, Keches Law Group focuses exclusively on construction site injuries. Founding attorney David Keches has over 25 years litigation experience and has handled over 1,000 construction accident cases.
He has recovered over $100 million for clients by fighting aggressively against even the biggest contractors, insurers and property owners. Keches Law Group assembles specialized teams combining legal and medical experts to build the strongest injury cases.
2. Karlin, Fleisher & Falkenberg – New York City, NY
This New York City firm has secured results for thousands of injured construction workers statewide since 1969. Founding partners David Karlin and Harold Falkenberg have over 80 years’ combined construction law experience.
They’ve successfully litigated cases involving scaffolding collapses, falling objects, electrical accidents, explosions, and heavy equipment accidents resulting in amputations and brain injuries. Their team includes bilingual attorneys to serve Spanish-speaking clients.
3. Hofmann & Schweitzer – New York City, NY
Since 1964, Hofmann & Schweitzer has fought for injured New York construction workers and victims of site accidents. Founding partners Paul Hofmann and Leonard Schweitzer have 120 years combined legal experience.
The firm has secured landmark seven- and eight-figure verdicts and settlements in state and federal trials involving scaffolding accidents, falling objects, trench cave-ins and structural collapses. The attorneys fight relentlessly to maximize compensation for catastrophic injuries.
4. Chaffin Luhana LLP – New York City, NY
Chaffin Luhana achieves record-setting verdicts and settlements for construction accident victims nationwide from their New York office. Founding partners Eric Chaffin and Roopal Luhana have secured over $1 billion for clients and counting.
The firm thoroughly investigates liability using OSHA experts, vocational specialists, courtroom technology and other resources. Their meticulous approach succeeds in complex multi-party lawsuits. Chaffin Luhana promises to go the distance fighting for your rights.
5. Cellino Law – New York
New York’s Cellino Law focuses exclusively on serious personal injury and wrongful death cases, including construction accidents. Founder Ross Cellino Jr. is a past president of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association and an Inner Circle of Advocates inductee – honors reserved for the nation’s best lawyers.
The firm’s attorneys have 150+ years combined experience prosecuting injury claims involving scaffolding and ladder falls, electric shocks, trench cave-ins and equipment accidents. Cellino Law has secured over $1 billion for clients during four decades in practice.
6. Arnold & Itkin LLP – Texas
With offices in Houston, Arnold & Itkin LLP has dedicated catastrophic injury lawyers assisting construction workers statewide. Founding partners Kurt Arnold and Jason Itkin have secured record verdicts and settlements in accident cases totaling over $1 billion.
The firm’s cutting-edge resources like accident reconstruction technology and video animation bring courtroom cases to life. Arnold & Itkin’s fierce advocacy continues from investigation through trial – they don’t settle for less than full justice.
7. Duffy Law Firm – Iowa
Based in Des Moines, Duffy Law specializes in Iowa workers’ compensation and construction accident cases. Founder Mike Duffy is an Iowa Association for Justice board member experienced in accident cases involving falls, burns, head injuries, equipment accidents and wrongful death.
Duffy Law stands out for its compassionate approach and meticulous trial preparation. The firm offers hometown care with big city legal muscle. Mike Duffy promises to fight tirelessly against insurers if they attempt to deny rightful benefits.
8. Sacks Weston Diamond LLC – Missouri
Missouri construction injury firm Sacks Weston Diamond has secured over $400 million for local and national clients. Partner Jack Diamond is a Super Lawyers Top 10 St. Louis attorney with 50+ years litigation experience focused exclusively on construction cases.
He’s succeeded in multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements for site accident victims suffering spinal damage, amputation, brain trauma and wrongful death. The firm’s laser-focused construction law experience advances clients’ injury claims.
9. Illinois Worker’s Compensation Lawyers – Chicago, IL
Based in the Chicago area, this firm has protected injured Illinois construction workers over 25 years. Founder Michael Schostok is an Illinois State Bar Association Workers’ Compensation Law Section Council member.
Their attorneys offer compassionate counsel and tenacious representation to obtain wage loss reimbursement, medical expense coverage and benefits for temporary or permanent impairment. They handle on-the-job accidents involving scaffolding, equipment, falling objects, and structural collapse.
This premier group of construction accident attorneys delivers proven results even in the most difficult cases. Their litigation experience and dedication to injured clients gives workers the greatest advantage pursuing fair compensation.
Finding the Right Lawyer for You
Suffering a catastrophic construction site injury can disrupt every aspect of your life. Having an exceptional lawyer as your advocate makes a huge difference in getting rightful compensation and long-term security.
Finding the ideal construction accident attorney involves:
- Researching lawyer qualifications, construction law expertise and case results
- Selecting a law firm with ample resources to handle complex cases
- Asking about their unique approach fighting for every possible recovery avenue
- Ensuring they have a proven record taking cases to trial if fair settlements aren’t offered
- Finding an attorney that instills confidence and trust in their skills
An experienced construction accident lawyer levels the playing field against powerful contractors and insurers. With strong legal representation, injured workers can focus on recovery, knowing their rights are protected. Don’t leave your future to chance – contact an accomplished construction accident attorney to fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.