The Nigerian music industry has seen the birth of many talented artists from big names like Wizkid, 2Baba, Fela, Burna Boy, Ayomide, Asha, to greehorns such as Tems, Fireboy, currently making waves in the entertainment world. Wizkid needs no introduction: He’s one of the biggest artists, not only in Nigeria but also in Africa.
Born Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun, Wizkid is a popular music sensation all across the globe with hit songs both at home and abroad.
This multi-award-winning artist has cemented his place in history as one of the most influential musicians to emerge from Africa. There’s no doubt that he’ll continue to push the frontiers of music in the future.
10 Facts about Wizkid Star Boy
- The singer was born July 16, 1990, in Lagos State, and came from a large family of six people. He’s the only son and the last of the children.
- He began singing in local churches at the age of 11 under the stage name Lil Prinz. At that same age, he also created a group named the Glorious Five. The group later recorded a seven-track album at the chapel.
- Prior to his meteoric rise to fame, Wizkid had the good fortune to work with renowned musicians, including 2Face, Idibia, Naeto C, and Sound Sultan.
- He attended Ijebu Ode Grammar School and eventually dropped out of Lagos State University. He attempted to return to school following his admittance at Lead City University but dropped out again.
- He’s popularly known by the moniker Starboy. He was formerly signed to EME music before establishing his own record label, Starboy Entertainment. The label also features acts from Nigeria, such as L.A.X. Wizkid and LAX collaborated on the chart-topping singles, Caro and Ginger.
- ‘Mami water’ is the title of Wizkid’s debut single. With the release of that song, everyone was reintroduced to a fresh vibe and sound. That got him his first Headies award as the ‘Next Rated,’ and he went on to win countless other honors.
- In 2011, he released an album titled ‘Superstar’ by Empire Mates Entertainment. This was the album that brought him into the limelight all over the globe!
- He’s a proud father of two kids, one of which is Boluwatife Balogun — a dashing young man. Boluwatife was born in October 2010 to Oluwanishola Ogudugu. And the second child was born by Diamond Diallo, a model from the United States of Guinea.
- When Wizkid collaborated with Drake on the smash, hit single “One Dance” in 2016, he became the first Nigerian singer to appear on Billboard’s Twitter Last 24 hours chart.
- Wizkid has his own day in Minnesota because he sold out the Skyway Theater the last time he performed there.
He was named “Best International Act” at the 2017 MOBO Awards. Interestingly, President Buhari, Vice President Osinbajo, and former Vice President Atiku Abubakar sent him congratulations following his triumph at the MOBOs. He also won three trophies at the AFRIMA awards in Lagos in November 2017.